Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Laura Bacchi Spotlight

Laura Bacchi is a gal after my own heart, writing an eclectic mix of erotic romance -- contemporary, futuristic, paranormal, BDSM, and M/M. She is also a talented artist. I especially liked "The Rajah's Beautiful Daughter." Her newest release, The Heart of a Hunter, received the Over the Moon Award of Excellence from May Reviews, and continues to garner rave reviews. So without further ado, let's meet Laura!

KW: Laura, if you had to live out one of your stories, which would it be? Why?

LB: I write a lot of futuristics, but I wouldn’t want to leave the planet and my family just because I met some alien hottie, so I’ll pick my first contemporary, Lucky in Lust. When a female art professor gets an old flame as a nude model by accident, she has tons of fun using his body while creating a new series of work in clay. I have a BFA in Visual Arts and fondly recall the time we had a male model for a change. It was very, um, inspiring…

KW: Do you have a weakness for certain themes in your reading and/or writing? What are they? Why do you think that is?

LB: Definitely! I’m into the alien-meets-Earth-gal-and-must-have-her theme, and “wanting what you can’t have” figures into the mix a lot. Two of my currents WIPs deal with what happens with the ordinary becomes extraordinary; just one tilt of the pinball machine, one twist of fate—and boom!—life will never be the same.

I suppose the sci-fi angle comes from my closet Trekkie tendencies. I’ve always dreamed about visiting new worlds and that kind of thing. As a reader, I prefer BDSM and kink. I like boundaries pushed. When I first wanted to write, I joined an excellent critique forum for erotica writers called The Fish Tank (http://desdmona.com/), and I highly recommend it. Perhaps learning the ropes, as it were, at this site opened my eyes to the many variants of erotica.

KW: Which of your books has been the hardest to write? Why?

LB: Without a doubt Topping Tora. It’s my longest work to date, and I’m more of a novella/short story gal. It was also my first with serious kink for the erotic romance market. Readers of my earlier work may not expect that kind of fare from me. The “thriller” part of it isn’t pretty, and I’m still worried about how it’ll be received. I know many readers can handle darker tales, but I have a feeling people will be surprised. Maybe unpleasantly so. But it stretched me as a writer, and that can’t be all bad.

KW: I adore reading thrillers, but doubt I could ever write one. Is there a genre you’d like to write, but don’t think you could?

KW: Literary fiction. To get the words just right—enough poetry and lyricism, enough down-to-earth talk to not be too high-brow—I would love to be able to accomplish that. It’s a fine line, and to succeed, to really have your words and themes resonate with readers, is quite a feat. There’s a lot of great literature being published today; the competition must be incredibly stiff. My second choice here would be Young Adult. Again, a tough market. Young adults are savvy readers, and they want books that are edgy and sharp. If you don’t have a finger on the pulse of this readership, you simply won’t make it.

KW: If you were teaching a course on popular fiction, which books would be on your reading list?

LB: Oh, tough question! I guess I should go ahead and admit that I prefer non-fiction when reading for pleasure. My picks would come from my experiences chatting with patrons while working in the library field for many years: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Harry Potter. Some Anne Rice. I’d have to give Stephen King his props—not sure which of his tales I’d pick. Jeffrey Deaver’s Lincoln Rhyme series for suspense. I’m not a fan of Danielle Steele, but I’d feel obligated to include her since she sells so many dang books. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier. Nora, of course, and something from the J. D. Robb “In Death” series. For sci-fi, I’d select Douglas Adams’ The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. And I’d have to include the romance book that first got me hooked: A Rose in Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss.

KW: What would you do with $1000 in spare cash?

LB: Get a new pair of glasses, new jeans, and enjoy a weekend getaway. And chocolate. Lots of chocolate.

KW: What would your “I’d rather be…” bumper sticker say?

LB: I’d rather be writing smut.

KW: What is your fondest memory?

LB: Now that my daughter is seven, I’m flooded by memories of growing up, and I really feel bad that she won’t enjoy the kind of freedom I experienced as a kid. I’d disappear for hours at a time, roaming the hills and playing with friends in the neighborhood woods. Kids can’t just wander off these days, and if there had been a homocidal maniac in our town, I’d have been a goner for sure. I guess my favorite memories involved snow. We had plenty of hills and one kid on the block had a sled we all shared. One blizzard in particular, Dad tunneled out paths to get to the car and mailbox, and the resulting shoveled snow was higher than our heads. My sister and I played “igloo” until our toes were numb!

KW: If you were a Bond Girl, what would your name be?

LB: The Cuntess of Pleasure? Puss in Boots? Ivana Lickalot? Sorry, dirty mind at work here.

KW: Tell me about the work-in-progress that you’re most excited about.

LB: One plot that has me intrigued right now is for a historical erotic romance entitled Relentless. When Emma Chatsworth discovers her betrothed desires the kind of marital relations she cannot possibly perform, let alone enjoy, she turns to her future brother-in-law James Duncan for advice—and instruction. Together, they journey through the seedy streets of London in search of dark pleasures to prepare her for the inevitable wedding night… but how can James let the woman who can fulfill his own fantasies marry another man? This will definitely have a BDSM theme, but I have yet to decide who’s “on top.” I tend to let the characters tell me how to write the story as we go along, so this plotting business doesn’t always go as planned!

Great questions, Kate! I really enjoyed answering them.
____

And I really enjoyed your answers. The Cuntess of Pleasure? OMG! I'm spitting diet Pepsi on my computer. Topping Tora is on my list of books to buy. Please, check out Laura's blog and website! Thanks, Laura!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Canice Brown-Porter said...

Great job on the interview, you two! Enjoyable read!

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Sage Burnett said...

Ah...the queen of kink at her finest. lol. Loved the interview. Great answers to great questions.

James Bondage...

Sage Burnett

5:38 PM  
Blogger Laura Bacchi said...

James Bondage... LMAO!

This was so much fun! Thanks again, Kim for asking such great questions. I really appreciate your taking the time to do this! :)

Laura

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Slutina Dickins said...

Great interview, ya'll!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Marilyn Shoemaker said...

I've read Jenna's Cooking Up a Storm and it's fabulous and that pumpkin bar, can't wait to try it!

2:39 PM  
Blogger 11 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,聊天室,情色,a片,AV女優

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home