Thirteen Hobbies I've Had or Dabbled In
- Once upon a time my mother was into this and I tried my hand at it too. I was only 7 or 8, so I wasn't too good at it.
- I finished several Dimension's kits which are no doubt turning yellow in my mother's garage somewhere.
3. Stamp Collecting
- Oh, I was so into this when I was around 13. I spent hours floating the stamps off their bits of paper and finding where they went in my international stamp album.
4. Counted Cross Stitch
- I still enjoy doing this. I have about a dozen pieces that even got matted and framed, but the decor of our house isn't so country anymore, so they languish in my closet.
- I am not very good at knitting anything but square shaped things, like afghans and scarves.
- I rock at crocheting and am in the middle of making a large grey pineapple afghan.
- A friend of mine taught this to kids afterschool and I was her helper. While I helped, I wove my very own basket! It was pretty easy, actually.
8. Cake Decorating
- A neighbor was very adept at this and she taught me some of the very basics. This came in handy with two kids in the house. The fire engine cake with the dalmatian in the window was so tempting my son nabbed a fingerful of frosting before the party!
- This is my number one hobby. Been doing it for about 14 years. I do it about once a month with girlfriends at the homeowner's association clubhouse. We scrap from about 4 p.m. until we drop, sometimes in the wee hours of the morning.
10. Playing Piano
- I hope this qualifies as a hobby. I learned to play when I was a little girl, and once in a while, I enjoy plunking out some tunes. I can sight read VERY VERY easy music.
- This started out as a hobby but became a little side business when I was a late teen. In those pre-computer days people had their wedding envelopes and place cards done by calligraphers. I charged a buck an envelope and made some nice money. I took classes in college and can do many alphabets. It's a handy skill.
- There was a period of about a year when I went nuts making those elastic bracelets. I spent a buncha money on Austrian crystal beads and sold some of my wares at craft fairs. I still have a ton of beads in my garage. I should sell the lot on eBay.
13. Rock Painting
- I bought a book that showed how to paint rocks to look like tiny little buildings. I had so much fun painting miniature thatched roof cottages, barns, A-frame Alpine homes, stores like you'd find on Main Street USA at Disneyland. My son joined in and made a haunted house. My mother took it up too and made a store for every member of the family.
13a. Silk Flower Fairies
- I have another book and all the materials to make fairies out of wooden balls, silk flower petals, acorn caps and felt. They are so adorable! But I haven't managed to carve the time out of my writing to sit down and make any.
Do you have any hobbies?
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. If you participate, leave your blog link by clicking on the white box above. It’s easy, and fun! Update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well!
Labels: Thursday 13