Welcome to Day 3 of A Wolf at Her Door
Week at my blog. Today is the big day! You can actually go buy it!!! Of course, I know some of you will be waiting until next Monday, because that's the day I'm going to pick the winner of the free copy. But that's okay. I'm guilty of the same money-saving strategy, too! The cost of the book is a little more than a gallon of gas these days, but I promise
you that you'll have a heck of a lot more fun reading my book than you will driving 25 miles anywhere (your mileage will vary.)
As promised, here are the answers to yesterday's shapeshifter trivia quiz.
1. Today, some people truly believe that they are humans with the souls of animals. What do such people call their belief system
? Answer: B. Spiritual therianthropy.
2. In 1992, a poll of Russians found that ____________ of respondents believed that werewolves existed.
Answer: D. 80 percent
The werewolf story has long been a staple tale of Russia, where wolves were (and still are, in many places) plentiful.
3. In Celtic folklore, men were often seduced by the selkies, beautiful women who were really
... Answer: B. Seals
The selkie turned into a woman by removing her sealskin. If a man stole the skin, the selkie could not transform.
4. In the Amazon, one hears legends of the 'boto', which can transform into a young boy or a handsome man. In animal form, the boto is a
... Answer: D. Dolphin
In the Amazon, a dolphin called the 'pink dolphin' can be found. Legends about this creature abound.
5. In Japan, many legends tell of the kitsune, who often appeared in the form of a beautiful woman. The kitsune was a .... Answer: C. Werefox
The kitsune often had many tails. The more tails she had, the older and wiser she was.
6. What is the psychological term for a person who thinks that he is a wolf? A. Lycanthrope
From 'lycos'- wolf and 'anthropos'-man.
7. From what material were werewolf-slaying instruments supposed to be fashioned? Answer: A. Silver
Silver probably got this reputation because of its supposed purity and association with the moon.
8. Quite a few physical signs were taken to be indications that one was a werewolf. Which of the following was NOT a sign that one harbored 'the animal within'?
Answer: D. Eyes that relfect red light in the dark
Other signs are an unusually long third finger, tattoos in the shape of a crescent moon, an uncut, clawlike left thumbnail, and tiredness in the morning.
9. One of the common beliefs about werewolves is that if you are bitten by one, you will also become a werewolf. What disease is responsible for this belief
? Answer: Rabies
Rabid wolves often foam at the mouth and bite whatever crosses their path. After the bite, a human who contracts rabies may exhibit the same behavior.
10. What do you call a werewolf from the southern United States
? Answer: B. Loup garou
There are many Cajun legends and songs about the 'loup garou', which is often said to resemble a rabid dog.
So, how'd you do? (Every comment this week enters you to win a free copy of Wolf, the winner to be announced 9/29.)
Labels: My Books, Trivia