Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Recommendation: The Tongue Untied

Recently, I needed to find out what you call those "ing" phrases. For example,

He pointed at her, laughing at the whipped cream on her nose.

I was trying to explain to another author that they had too many of these types of phrases, but really hated the idea of calling them "ing" phrases. I come to find out at this fabulous website, The Tongue Untied, they're called participial phrases. If you ever have a grammar question, this site is fantastic.



Anonymous Linda said...

Fantastic site, Kate! Thanks - always looking for stuff like this. As a writer and editor I'm alwats sorry I didn't pay more attention in grammar classes.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Gaucho said...

Good find, Kate. As you well know, the last thing I want in my work is too many "f**king" phrases.

Oh, wait...

6:47 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Well, Linda, if you ask me, knowing the names of the grammar thingies isn't as important to a writer as just intuitively knowing the thingies and how to use them properly.

Gaucho, you're so silly. But you knew that!

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home