Friday, March 24, 2006

Ups and Downs

Today I heard some terrific news. Romance Writers of America has two prestigious awards they bestow on writers. The RITAs are given to outstanding books by published authors, and the Golden Hearts are given to unpublished authors with great promise. I have two friends who have made the final round for both awards. Trish Cerrone is up for the Golden Heart for her manuscript, "A Virgin in L.A." and Jane Thompson is in the running for a RITA with her novella "Simon Says," from the Secrets, Volume 15 anthology. I'm thrilled for them! Hundreds of people vie for those nominations.

However, I got a bit of bad news. My eighteenth story for Woman's World weekly magazine was rejected. Alas, they seem to have received too many stories lately revolving around coaches of one form or another. Oh, well. They say you can't win them all, and you can't sell them all either.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Richards said...

You'll sell another, though. They like you! I can't seem to come up with an idea that Woman's World would buy. I start to write something about a woman who's home and doing housework, wondering if she's appreciated, and I end up having her just levitate the towels to the hamper ... um...yeah. **L**

11:44 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

LOL. I've only ever seen something otherworldly in one WW story, and that was the story that made me so mad I wanted to spit.

I had sent a story about a guy whose proposals keep getting messed up due to funny circumstances. His first attempt is foiled by movie people shooting a scene at the beach in Malibu. Then they get pooped on by birds at the zoo aviary. WW said it was very cute but implausible. I'm like, okay. That's fine.

THEN they publish a story from a teddy bear's point of view and the teddy bear manages to roll himself out of the heroine's car. **blinks** O-KAY. Teddy bears with the power of motion are oh so common. LOL

8:05 AM  
Blogger Sandra Richards said...

**lhao** Teddy bears with will and volition. Yeah, my teddy bears have to be locked up at night because they roam the house in search of the blood of cats.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Sounds like a great story! Everyone always thought dogs were cats' most mortal enemy, but all the while it's actually been teddy bears.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home