Thursday, May 25, 2006

Books That Stay With You

This Week's Question: What are some of your favorite books from childhood?

I have always been a voracious reader. If you look up "voracious reader" in the dictionary, there's a picture of me. My original question was to choose one favorite, but since that was impossible, I amended the question.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl - Part of me is saddened that so many children will be exposed to the inferior movie versions of this story before experiencing the book.

Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White - Another story that cannot, no matter how hard they try, be translated to the screen. This book makes me cry every single time I read it.

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, by Julie Edwards - This book has become on of my son's favorites, too. It was written by none other than Julie Andrews of Mary Poppins' fame. It's a sweet and wholesome fantasy story that talks about DNA and RNA before such concepts appeared with regularity on TV crime shows. Her character The Prock is deliciously sinister and unusual.

Happy Birthday to You!, by Dr. Seuss - I remember reading this over and over as a kid. Seuss' stuff was so fanciful. Fortunately, his stories DO go over well on TV!

The Great Brain series, by John D. Fitzgerald - This series of books entertained me to no end. Set in 1896, they were probably one of the reasons why I love historicals even now. They're about the adventures of a Tom Sawyer-like kid, told from the point of view of his younger brother. I highly recommend them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bebe said...

My favorite books from childhood are by Judy Blume. Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret, Deenie, Forever...

8:32 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Oh, Forever. I swear that was my first "hot" book! Judy Blume was my idol writer when I was a teen. I know I read Deenie, but I can't remember what it was about.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home