Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday 3: Backyard Bounty

We have a tree growing in our backyard that wasn't there when we moved in 14 years ago and that I never planted. I recently discovered it is a fig tree. I suspected its identity when I saw the giant leaves, reminiscent of Adam's first clothing. When it started growing the fruit, I actually wasn't that thrilled. We already have a guava tree, and I'm not fond of guavas.

However, my sister made me try the one fig that was ripe, and I sort of liked it. It is one of nature's funkiest looking fruits, I swear. It truly looks like it comes from another planet, but it tastes strangely good.

Anyway, this week's list is three fruits growing in my backyard.

1. The Fig. (See above.)

2. The Guava. (See above.) I regularly give away bags of guavas to my cleaning lady.

3. The Pear. Our pear tree is unreliable. Some years it has no fruit at all, some years, like this one, it's bursting with fruit. My sister recently came and took two bags of pears and made a fabulous pear cobbler that she says is very easy. I told her that it was dangerous because to paraphrase Field of Dreams, if I bake it, they (the pounds of fat) will come (to my hips.)

Do you grow stuff in your backyard?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Kate, I grow herbs and Hubby grows the tomatoes to got with them. I love gaspacho! And made four batches this sumer. I make my own sauce with the leftover tomatoes (you can only eat so many at one time) using my fresh basil and parsley. My only regret it that fall comes and then the herbs are gone--just when I want to make soup. I keep afew on the window sill but it's just not the same.

Enjoy the those figs.

Pat

1:42 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

I tried growing basil but failed. I've resigned myself to buying it.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Backyard? I remember when I used to have one of those. That was when we lived in a 4-unit building and had a tiny garden plot along the building. The three things I liked best were the carrots, broccoli and brussel sprouts. Yum!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

I love Brussel sprouts! No one else in my family does. Too bad for them!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Kate~ All the more for us! :D

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home