Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thursday 3: A Skilled Storyteller

There's a popular meme called Thursday 13 in which every Thursday you make a list of thirteen things. I did this for a few months, but I don't have time for thirteen! So, I whittled it down to Thursday 3.

Based on a recommendation from Julia Quinn, I picked up a copy of Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady. It is superb. Here are three reasons why I'm in awe of this book and its author.

1. Annique's French voice is so smoothly done. There is a cadence you hear when she speaks and the way Bourne structures the sentences...you could tell it was Annique speaking even if there were no dialogue tags.

2. Annique is a believable kickass historical heroinne. One of my pet peeves is when a woman is inexplicably able to repeatedly beat men in one-on-one physical combat, be it with swords, barehanded, or whatever. I'm always thinking, "Oh, right. His arms are so much longer than hers that she'd never be able to get a hit with that sword." But Annique's fighting abilities I never question because she's clever and knows her own limits. The author doesn't push those limits beyond believability and I love her for it.

3. Bourne is surprising me right and left, which (not to toot my own horn too much) is really hard to do. The very first huge surprise she springs on you, I never even saw coming. It was like when I saw The Sixth Sense. **Pauses a moment so you can remember the big Bruce Willis AHA! moment.** All the clues were there, but they were so subtle that when the "secret" was finally revealed, you smacked yourself upside the head for not seeing it before, but in a good way! Bourne has done that to me twice, and I'm only halfway through the book.

If you haven't read this book, you're in for a treat.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Paige Tyler said...

I'll have to check out her books!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Kate!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

I actually spent money on her other book, written before the one I read. :) I'm saving it for after Nationals. My luck, they'll be giving it away.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home