Monday, July 21, 2008

Recipe: Grilled Shrimp and Lemon Kebabs

Here's a recipe I got from Real Simple, a magazine I enjoy subscribing to. I really liked the idea of the lemon wedges right on the skewers. Seeing that gave me an aha! moment, like why didn't I think of that? However, I don't like serving shrimp you have to peel, so I've simplified the recipe a little. If you'd like the original version, go here.

24 medium shrimp, peeled, cleaned (I get the ones that just require me to to slip the shells off.)
2 lemons, cut into small wedges
3 yellow squash or zucchini, ends trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 sprigs fresh basil
16 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes (I use our metal skewers.)

Place the shrimp and lemon wedges on 8 skewers, alternating them. Halve the squash or zucchini lengthwise. (I would just fling the squash on the grill directly and don't bother with skewers. That's just more stuff to clean later. If you want to skewer the squash, you need to cut them into 1" pieces after halving them.)

Brush the kebabs with the oil and season with the salt. Grill the veggies about 3 to 4 minutes. Grill the shrimp, turning once, until the shrimp are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes total. Serve the shrimp and squash with the basil, torn into pieces if desired.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 86(41% from fat); FAT 4g (sat 1g); CHOLESTEROL 55mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7g; SODIUM 540mg; PROTEIN 9g; FIBER 2g; SUGAR 3g

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home