Friday, September 01, 2006

Poor Man's Paella Recipe

I haven't posted a recipe for quite a while and have had a craving for paella, which is strange, since I've never eaten it in my life! However, my Real Simple magazine had a recipe for Shrimp and Sausage with Saffron Rice that sounded suspiciously like paella, but without the special pan. I'm going to try it this week, since shrimpies are on sale this week for $5 a pound!

2 tsp. olive oil
8 oz. andouille sausage (or kielbasa), sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 med. yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup white wine
1 14.5 oz. can low sodium chicken broth
12 saffron threads, crumbled
1 cup long grain white rice
3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup frozen peas
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Heat oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium high heat. Add sausage and brown on both sides, about five minutes total. Reduce heat to medium and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Spoon off and discard all but 1 tbsp of fat. Add wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, saffron, and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir the shrimp and peas into the rice, cover, and cook for five minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 4.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna J. Evans said...

Oh wow! That looks great. I love paella. I went to Barcelona in 1998 and had it for the first time. Fabulous stuff...now I"m hungry, lol. Anna J.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home