Friday, June 29, 2007

Artist: Louis Comfort Tiffany

According to Wikipedia, Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933) was the son of Charles Lewis Tiffany, founder of Tiffany and Company (as in Breakfast at Tiffany's.) He used opalescent glass in a variety of colors and textures to create a unique style of stained glass. This can be contrasted with the method of painting in glass paint or enamels on colorless glass that had been the dominant method of creating stained glass for several hundred years in Europe. Use of the colored glass itself to create stained glass pictures was motivated by the ideals of the Arts and Crafts movement and its leader William Morris in England.

I adore the Arts and Crafts movement. If you've heard of the Mission style, that's Arts and Crafts. Often on Extreme Makeover House Edition they incorporate a Mission style to their projects.

Here are some beautiful examples of Tiffany's work.


Parakeets and Goldfish Bowl (1893)

Landscape with Hollyhocks
Autumn Landscape(1923-24)

I'm out of town until the Fourth and may or may not be blogging. If I don't, you'll know why.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Anna J. Evans said...

Gorgeous stuff kate. Thanks for sharing it. I believe I've seen some in real life at Chicago's museum, but I've slept since then so I can't be sure.

Hugs!

Anna j. Evans

5:41 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Beautiful examples of Tiffany's work, Kate. I esp like the bottom two (Hollyhocks and Autumn). Reminds of the Stained Glass Museum at Navy Pier which I visited last summer. Come to think og it, I never did post any of those pics. Might have to do so soon!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

I would adore seeing this in person. It must be breathtaking. Thanks for stopping by, ladies!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yikes! Could I possibly have any more typos in my previous post? You inspired me to upload some of the pics I took to my blog this week, though I admit the pics don't quite do them justice. ;)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Yes! Post art! I love it. And I didn't even NOTICE the typos!

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen Autumn Landscape. It is incredible in person. THe depth of color and detail is unbelievable.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

I'm jealous, Jayelle!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home