Thursday, September 27, 2007

Thursday 3: Tre Libri (Three Books)

I love Italian things. Food. The language. The men. *kisses her fingertips* So today I'm sharing three excellent books that take place in Italy.

I Mona Lisa
by Jeanne Kalogridis

This book was wonderful. Kalogridis creates a story to explain who Mona Lisa was, luring you in from the very first paragraph. She brings the intrigue and gritty realism of Renaissance Italy to life and I got lost and didn't want to be found. I highly recommend this book.

In the Company of the Courtesan
by Sarah Dunant

This book was also set in Renaissance Italy and tells the story of a woman who flees Rome when it's attacked with little but a belly full of swallowed jewels and her faithful dwarf companion. I love courtesan stories, which is part of why I wrote A Man of Vision. In the Company of the Courtesan is a great one.

Eat Pray Love
by Elizabeth Gilbert
I laughed out loud so many times while reading this book. Only a third of it is actually set in Italy (Rome to be exact,) and it was my favorite part. Gilbert does such a wonderful job of immersing you in the culture. I felt like I had visited the country myself. I adored getting a glimpse of how Italians view life.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

I've seen the book "Eat, Pray, Love". Now, I'll have to check it out. *Sigh* Another book to add to my "I have to have it who cares if I go broke" list. LOL.
Thanks for the list.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an amazing list of books! Thanks for sharing; I'll definitely read those:)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Savannah Chase said...

Wow that is a great list of books. I have to check them out..

Thanx

5:34 PM  
Blogger Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

I loved "Eat, Pray, Love." And you're right, she set you right in the middle of Italian culture with wit and style. Great list!

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the "Eat, Pray, Love" at Borders last week. I guess I should have looked a bit closer! Thanks for posting, Kate!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've heard a lot of good things about Eat, Pray, Love. It is definately on my winter reading list.
Happy T13!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the great recommendations, Kate.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Debbie Mumford said...

Short, but sweet ... just the way I like lists of book recommendations!

Thanks, Kate!

http://debbie-mumford.blogspot.com/

7:09 AM  
Blogger Bethanne said...

Sorry I missed your post yesterday!
Would love to read the third...

7:14 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Shirk said...

Hey, they sound great! Thanks for the tip!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Thanks for stopping by, ladies! I know you'll enjoy the books if you read them. Ciao!

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home