Monday, October 15, 2007

Story: Cards on the Table

What follows is an analysis of a Woman's World story with suggestions/observations for people who want to sell stories to WW, peppered with some personal opinion, too. :)


Story: "Cards on the Table" by Melissa Ramirez from the October 9, 2007 issue.

Tagline: Tilly had tried to work up th enerve to invite Walt Jenkins out, but she just couldn't do it...

In a nutshell: Tilly walks to church every week to play bingo, and every week she passes the widower Walt's house. She tries twice to ask him to join her, but remembering years ago how he'd declined (while his wife was still alive), she can't muster up the courage. Walt finally surprises her by showing up anyway one night.

Best Part: I thought it was romantic when Walt clipped the rose for her, and when he said Tuesday nights were his favorite, too, I knew it was his favorite because Tilly walked by his house.

Woman's World Stand-bys: This story has a hesitant woman and a pet cat, both commonplace in WW stories.

In My Humble Opinion: I understand Tilly's reluctance, especially considering that she's a senior citizen and probably unaccustomed to asking men out, however, I don't particularly care for women who end the story without having grown as characters.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the WW story review. I have to read it now don't I. Still trying to recover from the Thursday blog entry.

I wil be back on Thursday for sure.

Still fanning myself.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Snap out of it, Pat! LMAO. I'm going to have more hot men on Wednesday, not Thursday, though.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you really expect me to remember what day it was?

Still fanning myself!

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home