Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thursday 3: From My Pen

There's a popular meme called Thursday 13 in which every Thursday you make a list of thirteen things. I did this for a few months, but because my time is precious and I have been known to be lazy, I whittled it down to Thursday 3.



Three Paragraphs

I'm currently working on A Wolf at Her Door, the second in my Be-Wished series for Ellora's Cave. A year ago, Paige made a wish to spend a hot night with a werewolf. Imagine her surprise when a Universal Wish Fairy grants that wish!

It's been fun writing my first shapeshifter book. I hope you enjoy these three paragraphs.

1. Unfortunately left to her own imagination, Paige pictured a rough mountain man with a hairy back and dog breath. With that image in mind, she decided against changing clothes. Her jeans, turtleneck, and shearling jacket were good enough for coffee at a nearby bakery. According to the terms and conditions pamphlet that Davina had given her, Paige wasn’t obligated to go through with the wish. So if this man resembled Old Yeller in any way, shape, or form, she was washing her hands of the whole thing.

2. Adam's nostrils flared as the breeze brought him a sharp scent, one that caught his immediate attention. Above the brine, the coffee and pastries, the exhaust from the cars, and dozens of other smells, he detected a tantalizing, feminine perfume. It put his body on alert, like he’d gone from a personal Defcon 5 to Defcon 4, or maybe even 3.5.

3. Adam jumped when Davina appeared right in front of him. She was wearing butter yellow silk pjs, Tinker Bell slippers, and a very determined expression on her face. Right on her heels came two more fairies, also in pajamas.

So, if you're a writer, share a short paragraph from your own WIP. If you're a reader, which paragraph intrigued you the most?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

I love the second one, as a reader. Mmmmm I love the scent references.

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Thursday post! I just posted my Thursday, with a few add-ons, come on by and visit!

Have a good one!

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From A Miss for Mark:

He found his clothes on a chair at the end of the bed. Debra’s were scattered around the floor in the same area. If Todd had simply walked a few feet to the left he would have seen them, and known Mark and Debra hadn’t climbed out the window.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Paige Tyler said...

Great excerpt!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

8:41 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Shirk said...

I kind of liked the last one: Determined fairies in PJ's.

You just have to know what THAT is all about. **grin**

10:41 AM  
Blogger Savannah Chase said...

ohh nice T13.....great reads

12:15 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

I like the second one :-)
I'm a real sucker for shapeshifter heroes.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Gaucho said...

Again, silence. I imagined him standing there, his eyes glittering as he stared at me. What did he see, I wondered? Did he have me positioned where the moonlight streamed over my exposed breasts, its cold, unforgiving gaze highlighting each tumble and quiver of my flesh as I breathed? Or did he prefer me in the shadows, knowing that only his eyes could penetrate the darkness surrounding us?

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home