Monday, October 06, 2008

A New Obsession

I've often mentioned here on the blog that I love pens. I don't even need a good excuse to buy a new pen. However, I'm worried now that this little weakness of mine has expanded to another item that is even less necessary than a pen.

The paintbrush.

As I mentioned a few days ago, I have enrolled in a painting class. There is, of course, a supply list. *evil laugh* In college when I was getting my BA in graphic design, the best part was when they handed out that delightful list of supplies needed. Oh, the joy. I got to go shopping! And it was Justified Shopping! I needed these supplies for the betterment of my mind, body, and soul. My very education depended on buying these supplies.

It occurs to me now that the satisfaction I feel when I buy office supplies is rooted in my early love of school. Must think more on this.

Anyway, I got the list of supplies for this painting class which starts on Monday. When some of them arrived in the mail the other day, I was practically drooling. And when I opened up the paintbrushes... Oh, my. There is one in particular that is just plain sexy. It's a 3/4 inch rounded brush, aptly named BLACK GOLD. The bristles are sinfully soft. The ends are dark, but the color lightens gradually to a cafe au lait hue near the ferrule (the metal part that holds the hairs together.) It's beautiful to look at, and a pleasure to brush against the skin. It's enough to make me jealous of the canvas I'll be painting on.
There's another one made by Loew-Cornell, an 18/0 very very fine brush. I might be using it to paint individual eyelashes--it's that fine! However, the handle is unusually fat, which makes it fun to hold, so I can't wait to use that one either.
Do you have an item that you can't seem to resist buying? Something that probably triggers some deep-seated need inside you that was likely established in childhood but that would need years of psychotherapy to discover? What is it??? Tell, tell, tell! Is it shoes? Books? Matches and gasoline? (Just kidding.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home