Monday, September 11, 2006

Support the Troops


On this anniversary of 9/11, I'm feeling especially patriotic. Indulge me. :)

In the past, I have adopted individual soldiers for several months at a time, sending them care packages and exchanging emails. They sacrifice so much for us and I wanted to give a little back. It was extremely rewarding to make a difference in the lives of the two service people I adopted, and yet, it was quite a commitment to send an entire package every month, not to mention costly.

So, now I've joined an organization called Books for Soldiers. It's a bulletin board where soldiers can request certain items and people send them. I can volunteer to do as much or as little as I want. I'm blogging about this in the hopes that someone else might feel the need to support the men and women of our armed services, too.

To keep everything safe, you have to register as an "Official Volunteer." Unfortunately, the Department of Defense has to guard against weirdos who want to harm, undermine, or harass the troops through the mail, so you have to jump through a few hoops. But hopefully it will be worth it to you. I know it is to me and to those deployed on our behalf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home