Friday, February 23, 2007

Curious Minds

A blog visitor recently expressed some interest in my work-in-progress, having noticed my progress meter on the side. She loves wolves and wanted some details.

I recently submitted a story to Ellora's Cave, tentatively titled, ALL IN. In it, Mariah gets a visit from a fairy saying that she's entitled to have a wish she made a year ago come true. But when Mariah remembers what she wished for -- a torrid sequel to a one-night-stand she had with the World Poker Tour Champion, I.C. Tucker -- she's not sure if she's in for the ride of her life, or a giant dose of humiliation.

In ALL WOLF, the second of three stories, the wish fairy visits Mariah's friend, Paige Mahoney. Paige's wish was to make it with a hot, alpha male werewolf, just like the ones she reads about in romance novels. Trouble is, as hot and alpha as Adam is, she can't quite make herself believe he's a shapeshifter. Nor is she certain she really wants him to be.

Since I write by the seat of my pants from Chapter One to The End, no skipping around or plotting, I'm not sure how the story's going to end, except that everyone will be happy. That's always a given in my stories.

Hopefully my editor at EC will like ALL IN, which will pave the way for ALL WOLF and whatever the third ALL story ends up being. I'll announce her decision here when I find out!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Since I write by the seat of my pants from Chapter One to The End, no skipping around or plotting, I'm not sure how the story's going to end..."

Me too. A plot outline makes me feel trapped.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Rhian said...

Kate - these sound awesome (and not just the second one... though i am partial.) Please keep us posted on EC buying it and releasing it. PS - i LOVE that photo.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Anna J. Evans said...

That sounds awesome Kate! And you're really getting the books out lately. Way to go.

Hugs,
Anna

(thanks for checking out my new blog!)

5:33 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Jayelle, it's so cool that you came to my blog! Yeah, I have NEVER finished a story that I pre-plotted. It takes the fun out of discovering the story and characters as they develop, and I feel trapped, too, even though I KNOW intellectually that I can change it, I just can't seem to do it.

Rhian, did you get my email?

Thanks, KimW!

Anna, you are one of my role models. You've had amazing success and you're so prolific!

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your progree meter too. How did you do it?

4:17 AM  
Blogger Robin L. Rotham said...

I'm a pantser, too. I tried plotting for NaNo, and 50K later, I've got so much rewriting to do it makes me want to cry. I just have to face the fact that writing a story is like negotiating a maze I've never been in. I can sketch out how I guess it'll be all I want, but that's all it is --guessing. I'll still take a lot of wrong turns and have to back up and try another route. :P

9:43 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Jayelle, I got the progress meter from http://www.evolutionwriters.com/meter.php?PHPSESSID=f3a0a36685065eb872d57fc7f5a26d25

Let me know if you need help setting it up. :)

2:24 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

I hear you, Robin, and rewriting can be SO MUCH HARDER! I'd rather struggle with the occasional blank page as a pantser than look at tens of thousands of words that I have to rework and perhaps delete completely.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Rhian said...

hey Kate - i managed to pull your email out of Spam black hole - sometimes new emails fall in there but i try and check it regularly so i don't delete valid emails. I replied but not sure if you got THAT. I loved the teeny-tiny miniscule part you sent and am hopping up and down for more. I want to read BOTH stories and sooner rather than later. Tell EC to publish the first one right now!
Dang it, i hate waiting.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Rhian, I'm glad you liked it! Yeah, regarding EC buying it, from your mouth to EC's ears. I have to sell the FIRST one then worry about the second one. Hopefully they'll buy them as a package. :)

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home