Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ga-Ga Over Gorgeous Glass

If you've been to the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas, you've likely seen Dale Chihuly's work on the ceiling of the lobby. Chihuly is an amazing artist who works with glass. He creates such beautiful things on such a grand scale and I wonder how much breakage he must go through. I can't imagine trying to transport any of these pieces anywhere. Here is some of his work.

Fireworks of Glass
43' high

This is on display at the Children's Museum of Indianapolis. I can see why it's not here in California, The Earthquake State.

End of the Day #2
132" x 72" x 72"

I've actually seen this at the Palm Springs Art Museum. His stuff is so much more amazing to see in person because you can see all the sides, not just one, like in these photographs.

Victoria & Albert Chandelier, 2001
27' x 12' x 12'

I adore the colors of this and wonder how freakin' heavy this must be to hang from the ceiling! Amazing.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate -- I wandered over to your blog to read your analysis of the latest story in WW and was sidetracked by these gorgeous photos. What amazing artwork. Wish I lived near Las Vegas!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Robin L. Rotham said...

Wow, those are absolutely incredible! Thanks for introducing me to a fine artist. :D

3:35 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Check out the guy's website. His work is all over and there might be a piece of his nearer to you than you think. Well, maybe not you, Robin, you farm girl. LOL

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home