Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Leigh Court Spotlight

Author Leigh Court is not only talented, she's beautiful, too, damn it. If she wasn't a friend, I'd have to hate her. Anyway, she's done what I would like to do someday--write a historical romance, and it's a darned good one. Here are a few questions I asked her. I think you'll enjoy reading her answers.

I really loved The Disciplinarian. What was the genesis for that story?

I love historical romance, and I also love to put my characters into impossible situations -- in this case, a headstrong young Victorian wife, Clarissa Babcock, who is sent to London's notorious Disciplinarian, Jared Ashworth, for lessons in how to be a proper, submissive wife -- and then wait to see how the sparks fly and love grows!

You write historical. Have you ever thought it might be nice to actually live in a different time period or that maybe you'd been born in the wrong one?

While it's terribly romantic to pine for a time when men were true gentleman, I'd never want to give up running water and flushing toilets, LOL

What prompted you to choose your pseudonym?

The Disciplinarian is a sexy erotic romance, so I chose a pseudonym because I didn't want my mother to know I'd written it! As for the actual name Leigh Court, I thought it was generic enough that people might not be able to tell if it was a man or woman, so I could write as both.

Who are your top five favorite authors?

I read so much that it's hard to narrow it down to five! But I love historical fiction and stories with lots of action, so my favorites would be Dorothy Dunnett for her "Lymond Chronicles," anything by Jane Austin, Bernard Cornwell's "Archer" series, Susan Carroll's wonderfully entertaining "The Bride Finder" and "The Night Drifter" and early Anne Rice.

What is your favorite romantic movie with a bittersweet ending? What about a happy one?

The best bittersweet movie by far is Wuthering Heights (the 1939 version with Laurence Olivier) and the best one with a happy ending is Pride & Prejudice (Colin Firth is yummy)!

Tell me about the most romantic thing that’s ever happened to you.

I met my husband when I was 22, and every year he gives me 22 red roses on my birthday, saying I'll "always be 22 in his heart."

If you could change careers now without any consequences or financial loss, what would you switch to?

Being an author has been my dream since age 11, so if I could do that full time I would love to. My second choice would be to design Japanese gardens -- they're so beautiful and soothing!

What’s the one thing you’ll never understand?

Why the people of the world can't simply respect each other's differences and live in peace.

Tell me something about you that very few people know.

Not many people know that my career as a television journalist reporting bad news every day turned me into a romance writer -- it was my therapy!

Tell me about your work-in-progress.

I just finished a very sexy sci-fi/futuristic called The Traveler that my agent is currently pitching. I'm also working on two more historical novellas for Red Sage -- Lord & Master and Provocateur.
________

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to those books. If they're as hot and as well-written as The Disciplinarian, I'm in for a treat! Thanks for participating, Leigh!

Leigh's Website: www.hadleighcourt.com

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Robena Grant said...

What a lovely interview. Excellent, Kate. Nice to learn things about Leigh that I never knew. : ) And I want one of those guys like her hubby, he definitely sounds like a keeper.

Can't read the rest of the blog, covering my eyes and singing la-la-la-la ... recipes, evil carbohydrates. I'm on a diet, got to go. LOL.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said...

Nice to find out more about Leigh! The Disciplinarian was a wonderful story. I rarely read historicals, but this was one of my top five favorite reads last year.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Lucie Simone said...

Since Leigh is one of my critique partners, I think I get a special window into her stories, seeing them grow from a spark of an idea into absorbing tales of romance and adventure. And Leigh writes the best kisses I've ever read!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Thanks for stopping by, ladies! Always a pleasure to see my fellow LARA members here!

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home