Thursday, January 25, 2007

Impressions

I haven't blogged about art for quite a while, so I decided to search for a suitable piece and found something very interesting, at least to me. Monet is perhaps the most well-known impressionist painter. I was looking at some of his work online and found "Irises" (top.) I was quite familiar with Van Gogh's "Irises," (bottom) and realized that those flowers must have been popular among impressionists.







Then I saw one of Monet's "Water Lillies" paintings, an even more prevalent blossom for him! But what struck me was its resemblance to Van Gogh's "Starry Night." And then I started really looking at "Starry Night" and noticed a yin-yang shape in the sky, and I love yin-yangs. I have to say that I like the colors better in Monet's, but the flow of Van Gogh's is something that will always appeal to me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Anna J. Evans said...

I love Van Gogh. Saw a great exhibit of his in Barcelona a long time ago, but it was one of my favorites. I love the squirmy paint, makes my mind feel fuzzy in the good way, lol.

Anna

3:26 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Too bad he was a nutcase.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Robin L. Rotham said...

I love Monet and Van Gogh, too. (Interestingly, I used a Gauguin painting in yesterday's post -- we must be on the same wavelength, Kate. :D)

And speaking of Starry Night, I also love Don McLean's "Vincent." I think it's one of the most breathtakingly beautiful songs ever written, and I'm going to iTunes right now to download it because I haven't heard it in years.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home