Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Bonnie Dee Spotlight

Bonnie Dee writes about "flawed, often damaged people who find the fulfillment they seek in one another." Those are my kind of stories. I love tortured heroes. Please read on to find out more about my fellow Liquid Silver Author!

Like most of the world, I love the book cover for Bone Deep. If that book were to be made into a movie, who would you cast as the lead characters? Why?

Unknowns. A name actor would distract from the mystery of Tom. You’d be thinking about him being Johnny Depp with a lot of fake tats instead of immersing yourself in the character. And if Tom is played by an unknown actor, his leading lady should not outshine him by being a famous actress.

Do you have tattoos? If so, what/where are they? If not, where would you get one and what would you get?

I have no tattoos but if I had one it would be a tribal band around the ankle. I think they look classy. I do have a story about my 18-year-old who got a tattoo between her shoulder blades a couple of months ago on her birthday—a lotus flower with the Om sign in the center. A couple of her friends and I went with her and all watched and chatted with the artist. Meanwhile in the other tatooist’s chair was a young guy about the same age, also with Mom in attendance. The dichotomy between men and women struck me. Our little flock of females never shut up. My daughter’s friends cooed over her and told her how beautiful the tat was. Stone silence from the other side of the room. Could you imagine if he’d brought his friends along? You’d never see a bunch of males fluttering around one of their own commiserating on the pain and saying how great he was going to look when it was over.

Which of your characters would you like to meet? Why?

I’m more of a watcher than a participator so I wouldn’t really care to meet any of my characters as a real person. I’d have nothing to say. However, I do like my character, Amy Chang in Moon Over Bourbon Street. She’s a no-nonsense, sharp-tongued individual who I’d probably get along with very well.

Looking at your own books, what is your favorite line of dialogue?

I can’t pick one off the top of my head, but in general I like dialogue where I have the couple in a book joking around together about something mundane. I’m especially fond of having them exchange a childhood memory, which not only gives insight into the character telling the tale, but also tells something about their partner in the way they react to the story.

Which of your books has been the hardest to write? Why?

Moon Over Bourbon Street, set in New Orleans, was half finished with Hurricane Katrina hit. I had to put the story aside as it seemed inappropriate to write something set in the ravaged city. Months later, when I took it back up, I had a plotting issue and asked for suggestions from fellow Liquid Silver authors. Lisa Andel gave great advice and I finally finished the story.

Name some of your favorite books (by other authors! Heh heh.)

I read Fallen From Grace by Laura Leone a while ago and liked that fairly well. I also like Patricia Gaffney’s historicals from the late ‘90s. I honestly don’t read that much, preferring to kick back in the evening with a movie or TV drama.

Apart from romance, what do you usually read?

I was a Stephen King reader for many years, but have missed most of his recent titles. Again, I prefer to watch Prison Break, Lost, Jericho and cable shows like The Sopranos, Carnivale or Deadwood.

If you could become a character in a TV, movie, or book, who would it be? Why?

I like my life so much I can’t imagine who I’d rather be. But I thought long and hard about this and decided I could do with a big dose of Gilligan. The best quality of that goofy guy is that he takes things in stride and is always upbeat no matter what.

What was your last purchase?

We finally got around to buying our belated Christmas gift a 42” HD LCD TV. I’ve wanted it for a long time. Of course, right away we found out that if you have one of these new Hi-Def televisions you also have to upgrade your satellite box to get that crystal clear picture. One expense leads to another.

Do you have a favorite quote?

I practice a yoga-based religion and my favorite affirmation is from Paramahansa Yogananda. “I will reason. I will will, and I will act. But guide thou my reason, will and activity to the right thing that I should do.”

____

Well, I think that the right thing for the readers to do is visit Bonnie at her website and blog. Thanks, Bonnie, for participating! I hope you had fun.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home