Monday, March 05, 2007

Story: "Moving On" by Danette Haworth from the March 6, 2007 issue.

Tagline: Sometimes the fresh start you're hoping for is right around the corner...

What follows is an analysis of a Woman's World story with a mind toward what works and doesn't work for me as a writer, peppered with some personal opinion, too. :)

Ah, this story shows that the supermarket is the new health club when it comes to meeting guys. LOL. My friend, Diane Crawford, will be happy to see that WW published yet another story with food in it!

I liked this story a lot. The characters felt real and I identified easily with Casey, the heroine. Haworth has set the story in an everyday place, which gives the reader a sense of "wow, this could happen to me, too!" which I think is something Woman's World likes.

I thought it was very funny when the heroine blurts, "Onward!" and then inwardly cringes. Who among us has never said something idiotic in front of the opposite sex? And then, when he parrots back her comment, I just fall in love with him myself. He eases her discomfort and shows how funny he is at the same time.

Best Part: I thought this sentence was especially endearing: "It was the shopping cart guy."

In My Humble Opinion: "I couldn't believe I'd been so bold." I don't know...this sentence sounds kooky to me, even if it's only in her head. "Forward" is just as weird a word. Maybe "gutsy" would have had a more contemporary feel.

Grade: A-

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

Wow! My first review ever, and such a nice one. I'm glad you enjoyed my story--I feel like I just got a gold medal.

Thanks!
Danette

1:45 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

You wrote a great story, Danette! How'd you find this? You're the third author to have stumbled upon my WW story review. Seems like finding a needle in a cyber haystack!

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every now and then, I run a search on my name. And now that I've found you, I'll be back!

Thanks again,
Danette

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home