Thursday, March 08, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: So. Cal. Living

I am a native California Girl. I'm even--like totally!--a Valley girl, if you remember that song by Frank Zappa. So, today's Thursday Thirteen is about why Southern California is a great place to live.

1. The weather is terrific here near Los Angeles. Sure we don't get "seasons," but I can look at pictures of vibrant autumn leaves and be very glad I will never have to shovel my driveway.

2. Sometimes you see movie stars. I stood in line for a movie with Sally Fields. As a kid I played with Helen Reddy's daughter and went to elementary school with Jodie Foster. My mom had a long term relationship with Harpo Marx's son. David James Elliott (JAG) comes into the Starbucks where I work. Sometimes he's even sweaty and wearing a tank. Yeah, baby!

3. The beach!

4. Disneyland. The revamped Space Mountain totally rocks!

5. Pink's Hot Dogs. Oh. My. God. I saw on the Food Channel that when Tom Hanks wraps up a movie, he orders Pink's dogs for everyone.

6. If we want snow, we can get it by driving to Big Bear, or Mammoth, or Lake Tahoe.

7. Fantastic Mexican food is all over the place. There's even a Mexican market down the street now that has a HUGE hot food counter. Sure, they also sell goat parts, but I just try not to peruse meat section too closely.

8. Contrary to popular belief, the smog isn't much worse than any other metropolitan area.

9. Non-smoking restaurants.

10. Great produce, very fresh.

11. Earthquakes. I'm serious! I'd much rather have the occasional earthquake than an annual threat of hurricanes or tornadoes.

12. If you feel like visiting an alien land, Las Vegas is quite close by car.

13. We have happy cows.




The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged. If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well!

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Rhian said...

oh! i missed this this morning! okay all the mentions of mexican food today has me foaming at the mouth for some. i get these CRAVINGS.....

1:48 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

You preggers, Rhian? LOL

(And it wasn't up until after I got home from work at noon.)

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well - as a huge David James Elliott fan I have to ask...which Starbucks do you work at so if I am ever in LA I know where to get my coffee...

4:02 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

I work at the Starbucks on McBean Parkway in Valencia. ;)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Rhian said...

GASP!!! Bite your tongue Kate!!!
I already have FOUR boys (3 in college at the same damn time) and made sure I was neutered after number Four Son. Actually they're absolutely the best guys on the planet but my breedin' days are OVER.

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for answering. Valencia, huh? It must have been during the time JAG was on, it filmed in Valencia.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Anna J. Evans said...

OMG! I'm so homesick now! Of all the places I've lived, i sure did love the Santa Clarita valley. Oh I miss the weather and the great playgrounds and Trader Joe's. I really really really miss Trader Joe's...is it wrong that I was so attached to a grocery store?

And LARA of course...I miss LARA. Too bad life there is too expensive and I'll never be able to afford real estate there again (though I did sell my condo for a tidy little profit :))

Anna

7:27 AM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hmm. Sounds better than my recollection of the ONE time I was out there... Especially if what you say about the air is true.

Happy TT!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Cindy, I saw him about three months ago... :)

We miss you, too, Anna! But I still feel connected via our blogs! (Gotta love Man Meat Monday.)

Oh, the smog CAN get bad, but it's not like a blanket 365 days a year.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Rhian, I hear ya. I'm not fixed, but I'm not aiming to have any more kids!

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate- Lucky you!!!!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Kate! And here I was so happy my folks got out of LA and down to San Diego. I must admit that I'm drooling over the fact you saw David James Elliot. Yum!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Lucie Simone said...

My favorite thing about living in Los Angeles is the fact that I can ride my bike at the beach year round. There is nothing as much fun on the planet - except maybe for sex with one of those hot surfers bobbing on the waves!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Well, Woodland Hills is different from Valencia, Gabriella.

Ah, yes. Surfers. *big sigh* I dig those beach volleyball players, too. I remember a time when I saw one of those guys doing push-ups on the sand and my imagination went a little bonkers.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home