Friday, May 11, 2007

Artist: Barbara Schneider

Art is sometimes a warm blanket. This is Reflections, Burano, Italy, Var. 1, and surprise, surprise...it's a quilt! Isn't it cool?

Here is what Schneider says about herself: I began quilting in 1996 and rediscovered the pleasure of working with cloth, paint, dye, and thread. I have a B.S. in Visual Design from the Institute of Design, Illinois Institute of Technology, and a M. A. in Fine Arts from Northern Illinois University. I worked for many years as a book designer in the publishing industry. I make handmade paper and collect Japanese folk art. I am working on a degree in ornamental horticulture and feel the need to connect with the natural environment every day. These interests have had a strong influence on the my work. I often use vintage kimono fabrics in combination with other materials, papers, and embellishments.

I love how this quilt draws me in and makes me wonder what I'm actually looking at reflected in the water. It's so amazing to me that an image of wavering water can be made out of bits of fabric sewn together. I'm in awe of people who can wield thread like that. Please visit her site to see more.

Enjoy your weekend!


Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe this is a quilt! It's absolutely stunning. I did a second take because I thought it was a painting until I read the accompanying text.

Kate, if I haven't said it enough. I adore these art posts you do every week. (Now why didn't I think of it first. ;-) LOL!)

12:10 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Thanks so much, Gabriella!! I'm so glad you like seeing the art. As a blogger, I'm sure you know the feeling of futility, wondering if anyone cares that you're blogging at all. I don't see why you couldn't blog art, too. :)

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home