Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thursday 3: Too Much of a Good Thing

I know I'm not the only one, but I have a problem with certain items. I succumb to the urge to buy these items more than I should.

Take this woman, Angelika, for instance. She has collected 220,000 pens, an item that I adore. (See below.) She even organized a club that meets twice a year to trade pens.

I don't go that crazy, but here are three things that I do have too much of:

1. Pens - I seriously love pens. It's really dangerous because these days they come in these multipacks. When I was a teen, I would blissfully browse stationery stores, looking for something to spend my allowance on since I had no "real" expenses. They didn't sell stuff in bulk yet. Anyway, my household has far too many pens. And yet, not enough. Not nearly enough.

2. Scrapbook paper - I have to admit, my friend Tammy has a bigger weakness for paper than I do, but again, I have way too much. In my own defense, I have to say that they're designing some real kick ass gorgeous paper these days and it's not my fault that I want to help foster the scrapbooking industry and encourage those talented paper designers. No, I'm NOT in denial. I'm not!

3. Yarn - Same deal. Lots of projects begun, but not finished. I have big plastic bins of yarn of various weights and colors. I was strong enough once to throw out all the baby yarn, but I still have skeins and skeins that are not being knitted or crocheted into anything.

Please help me. Angelika and I can't be the only sad women who can't control themselves. What items do you have weaknesses for and can't stop yourself from buying?

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Savannah Chase said...

I collect autographs, well not as much now...I have collected over 4000 signatures...I must say that is a lot of pens.....

6:23 AM  
Blogger Tempest Knight said...

Hehehe! I seem to get pens wherever I go, so I got a small collection of them even when I don't collect them. Don't worry Kate. We all have our own little obsessive collections. Mine is about gargoyles and dragons. :)

6:57 AM  
Blogger Lia said...

I love pens. Sometimes drug pens are the funniest ones. I have a Flexaril pen that the body is a spring. My fav drug giveaway was a highlighter shaped like a tube of ointment emblazoned with the name Zovirax, a herpes medication. It was too funny.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Shirk said...

I really can't stop buying books. I need more self-control. LOL!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think most writers have a thing for the tools of the trade. For me it's mechanical pencils and half-size notebook paper.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Bethanne said...

I have to say paper as well...which is crazy because mostly, I sit at the computer when I'm writing. Last week I needed copy paper for the printer...I was so excited to go shopping. *sigh* silly. I like the stationary stuff too.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter how many pens you have, you can never find one when you need it.
Great list :)

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I collect used stamps. I put them in a huge biscuit tin but that's all I do with them. I used to collect stamps as a kid and put them in albums but now I just put them in a tin. Some stamp collector will be very excited to get them some day.

And lately I seem to be buying great books. They go on my pile but I don't get time to read them. I just keep adding to the pile.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

Pens and books. (shrug!) Occupational hazard, I suppose.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Elle Fredrix said...

LOL. I have to share that pic with all the pens around the office. They say I'm a pen thief but I'm not THAT bad!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Well, I don't think i have too many of these items, but my sister claims I have 1) too many books (as if!) 2) too many ink stamps (okay, maybe) and 3) too many supplies for cross-stitch.

Hey, I can think of worst ways to spen one's money! ;)

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Books, fabric (goes in cycles) and yarn. But mostly books.

Awesome list this week, Kate!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Debbie Mumford said...

Fabric! I was a quilter for years and still can't resist adding to my stash *lol*

http://debbie-mumford.blogspot.com/

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hubby says I have too much of everything, but especially books, writing supplies, clothes, and make-up.

But my favorite thing to buy since I was a kid is a box of crayons. My daughter and daughters-in-laws all went crazy one year when I bought them all crayons for a stocking stuffer. Is it a girl thing?

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home