Friday, November 23, 2007

Artist: Susan Norris

It's Friday again! Art Day at Kate's blog. This week I'm featuring Susan Norris. After perusing her online gallery, I want to call her the amoeba artist. So much of her work makes me feel like I'm looking through a kaleido-microscope. This first painting is called "Primitive2." It looks to me either like micro-organisms or a colorful transit map. The colors appeal to me a lot, and I can't help but see this little happy face in the upper left corner.
This is called "Deco." I love how she can create something abstract that, at the same time, evokes the feeling of the Art Deco movement. I think some jazzy music would go well with this piece of artwork, something with a lot of sax.

What I found really cool was her artist's statement: "The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision. " Maimonides...... Don't be afraid of choosing the wrong color, or of taking that first stroke on a new white canvas. There is no way to do art wrong - just paint over it and try again. Usually the pieces that are accidents are the best. And above all else, be joyous with the gift of creation.



I think that philosophy can apply to so many areas of life. Indecision is something I struggle with constantly. I hope that you conquer it yourself and do something daring this weekend.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said...

I love the second piece, 'Deco'. The colors appeal to me, even though I'm not a huge fan of abstract art.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home