Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thursday 3: Back To School

There's a popular meme called Thursday 13 in which every Thursday you make a list of thirteen things. I did this for a few months, but I don't have time for thirteen! So, I whittled it down to Thursday 3.

I'm one of those weirdos who loved school. It's probably one of the main reasons I went into teaching. I used to play school at home and if, at the end of the year, one of my teachers was giving away leftover workbooks or textbooks, I was in HEAVEN.

Anyway, I still enjoy the school setting and if I went back to college, here are three subjects I would love to take classes in. (The photo is of the Oviatt Library at Cal State U, Northridge, my alma mater.)

1. English - I had always really resisted reading literature in school, but now with my writing career, I think it would be nothing but beneficial for me to be more well-read.

2. I would so love to learn to speak Italian. I love that language so much. I love listening to it more than French, which is a truly beautiful sounding language.

3. I would take more painting classes and not care so much about what the other students or the teacher thought. I was so uptight when I took painting I produced crap. Of course, it might have helped if we got actual INSTRUCTION.

What would you like to get further education in?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Lucie Simone said...

I studied Italian in college and it is a wonderful language, full of passion and bravado! Just what a romance writer needs in her tool box...

4:30 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Did you read EAT LOVE PRAY? My favorite third of the book was the first part, set in Italy.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Stephen D. Rogers said...

If I could get further education in anything, it would be how to write and sell to Woman's World. :)

Stephen

11:32 AM  
Blogger Gaucho said...

Sex.


Oh, please. Don't tell me you didn't see that coming. :D

3:41 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Oh, man, Stephen, I have been neglecting the Woman's World story review/lessons and you're making me feel guilty.

Gaucho, I never see you coming. Maybe that's the problem. LOL

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, it's American Sign Language. I took two semesters of it, and I really loved it. Each semester, we had to sign any song we chose. That was really hard but also a lot of fun.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, I'd go with Kate for the Italian, Stephen for the WW class, and take a geography class. Then I'd use the money I make from my WW stories to travel, especially to Italy to use my new language

7:29 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Lacey Sue, I took ASL in college, too, and it WAS hard.

Sounds like an excellent plan, Pat!!!

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home