Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thursday 3: Brown Thumb

There's a popular meme called Thursday 13 in which every Thursday you make a list of thirteen things. I did this for a few months, but I don't have time for thirteen! So, I whittled it down to Thursday 3.


I'm not the best gardener. Some plants I've managed to do well with in my yard--hydrangeas, mums, freesias, gerbera daisies. Others I routinely kill. Here are three species that are doomed if I put them in my cart at the nursery.


1. Marigolds - The people at the nursery always insist that these are a cinch to grow. Ha! Not three days after I plant these, the flower heads just drop off, like I took a guillotine to them.


2. Cymbidium - My grandmother gave me a very healthy cutting from her plant. Right now hers has like two dozen blossoms on it. Mine tried to survive for going on three years before finally giving up the ghost.


3. Impatiens - These are supposedly easy to grow too. Not in my yard.


Are you a botanical serial killer? What are the names of some of your victims?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Now seriously ~ How do you manage to kill marigolds? I used to plant them every summer when I had a plot for planting, and they always seemed to flourish with little help from me.

I've only lost three plants, none of which were my fault. The polka dot died when my sister moved it from a window with lots of sun to one with hardly any (though I tried, it never came back), and the jade and aloe were victims of someone's cat.

Right now I have three plants, one of which is a 4-foot dragon tree that refuses to stop growing.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Botanical serial killer - I love it!! My victims are too plentiful to name, darn it. I am, however, very good at growing Impatiens. Hydrangea is one of my very favorites, but they won't grow at my house. Roses either. We've got too many trees and not enough direct sunlight. Oh well...

Hey, I've got a giveaway at my blog, so please come by!

12:44 AM  
Blogger Paige Tyler said...

LOL! We're not green thumbs, either, which is why we have fake plants!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

8:51 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Heather, I am so good at killing marigolds, I don't even have to TRY. LMAO.

Hydrangeas like shade, actually, Robin. And they go dormant in the winter, so if they look like they're dead then, they're not!

Fake plants these days look better than they used to. Maybe I'll get one of those next time I have a coupon for Michaels. Good suggestion!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Dana Belfry said...

Madam, where is your tag response?

The plant killer thing is funny though. :)

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, I'm not a flower killer but I can relate. I have an herb garden every summer. And every summer I plant parsley. Every summer I kill parsley. What ever quanitity I plant, I kill it off by fall. Hubby's favorite line as I stock the cart at the nursery, "Oh, I see you're going to kill more parsley this summer."

Actually last summer I killed the celentro also. The plants were huge when I purchased them. I wonder if they died because I thought I was buying parsley?

7:26 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Your hubs sounds hilarious, Pat.

And Dana, my tag response is up today! (Tuesday)

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home