Monday, May 05, 2008

Story: Circle of Love

What follows is an analysis of a Woman's World story with suggestions and observations for people who want to sell stories to WW, peppered with some personal opinion, too. :) If you truly want to get the most from this weekly blog feature, it's best to have your own copy of the story to refer to. (And no, I don't get a kickback for pimping the magazine here!)


Story: Circle of Love by Tina Radcliffe

Tagline: Katie could hardly believe her good fortune: a fiance and a new baby sister--all in one day!

In A Nutshell: Katie's 43 year old mom is a newlywed and announces she's pregnant. Their OB is retiring but his grandson, Timothy, is taking over the practice. Katie and Timothy fall in love and get engaged.

Teaching Points: In this story we see Radcliffe use the technique of connecting the title in with the concluding sentences. It's a simple and effective way to tighten up that ending with a bow.

This story is a little different from the majority of WW stories in that it encompasses about nine months AND it goes from first meet to actual engagement, two things that are tough to pull off.

Woman's World Standbys: An accidental run-in, a missed opportunity to meet someone.

In My Humble Opinion:

I found the transitions between scenes were abrupt, but with the new 800 word limit, I sympathize with Radcliffe.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

This was a surprise sale as the word count was 1000, not 800. It also had some in-house editing, so not sure what the final word count ended up.

Another reason I did not expect the sale was that I knew when I subbed it that the story did not run with the usual formula.

But I am of course very appreciative of the opportunity. The folks at WW are very kind as well as professional.

And I always look forward to Kate Willoughby's input. Almost as much as I look forward to the paycheck. :)

11:32 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Thanks for visiting, Tina!!! Congrats on the sale. I'm waiting to hear on one of my stories, but they've rejected so many....

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home