Thursday, May 08, 2008

Thursday 3: The Wheels on the Bus

There's a popular meme called Thursday 13 in which every Thursday you make a list of thirteen things. I did this for a few months, but I don't have time for thirteen! So, I whittled it down to Thursday 3.


Here are three memorable school field trips I took.

1. The best field trip I remember taking was in fifth grade when we went fossil hunting. We rode the bus and parked on the side of the road somewhere near Topanga Canyon. We were to bring a container for our fossils and a hammer. There,embedded in the side of the mountain,were fossilized shells. It was so cool to make like an archaeologist. I don't know whatever happened to the fossils I had. They probably got lost in the move fifty miles away to Orange County we made that summer.

2. In my freshman year in high school my English teacher arranged for us attend a theatrical play at the Ahmanson Theatre. I was a theatre virgin back then. I can't remember exactly what we saw, but I think it was something by Neil Simon. I loved it. It was 1978. I remember wearing a below the knee plaid skirt, a cowl neck sweater and probably some Wallaby type shoes, maybe even Cherokee platforms. Quite a far cry from what high school freshmen are wearing now.

3. When I taught school one of the best field trips we took was to the place in Arleta where they train guide dogs for the blind. It was super interesting to learn about seeing eye dogs. One time they came TO our school with a dog, and we teachers were blindfolded and led by a dog through an obstacle course. THAT was ubercool.

Care to share a field trip you remember?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Kate, those sound great! One of my favorite field trips was to Rincon Island when I was in third grade. Rincon is that little island at the end of a very long pier on the way to Santa Barbara. I wanted to be a marine biologist and getting to see how biologists worked and getting a chance to be close to marine life was awesome. (I also had dreams of being an archeologist, so would have loved that field trip too.)

9:33 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Yeah, I wanted to be an archaeologist before Indiana Jones existed. But I was thinking more about dino fossils and less about religious artifacts and snake pits. ;)

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home