Tuesday, July 29, 2008

At Your Service

I've worked as a Starbucks barista for over two years, and it's really opened my eyes about the service industry. You know how Israel requires all of its young men to serve in the military? I think in America we should require everyone to hold a job in the service industry for just a couple of weeks. That way they'd get an idea of what it's like to be on the other side of the counter.

Don't get me wrong. I actually really enjoy serving people. I think I'm good at it. In 98% of the cases, my smile is genuine, my wish to help you, sincere. (The only time I smile even though I don't want to see you is if you've been in before and are a pain in the ass, ungrateful, curt, or act entitled.)

But some people just need to get a clue. Like, what's with taking your drink without saying thank you? How is it possible to look at someone who smiles at you and not smile back? Do you not realize that throwing your money on the counter comes across as condescending? And, really, how hard is it to pick up your straw paper off the floor when you clearly see it didn't make it into the trash can?

Apparently, it's really hard.

So, I'm just wondering, have you ever worked a service job?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home