Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Xandra Gregory Spotlight

Xandra Gregory lives in the corn belt of the United States, but her writing is anything but corny. (Unlike that pun. *coughs*) She writes steamy paranormal/alien romance. She has only two books available so far, but is making quite a splash in the publishing world. One reviewer said of Alien Communion, “How many ways are there for one to say “Wow”? She's also a funny lady as you'll be able to tell both from her website bio and the questions and answers below. Enjoy!

Is there any of yourself in the heroine of Alien Communion, Rayne Warren, or is she purely a creation of your own imagination?

Well, all of my characters are a little bit of me. In Rayne's case, she's a smart and driven woman, but she's let some of her femininity fall by the wayside in favor of cold logic. I've been known to "think too much" myself. :)

Which authors have influenced you, and how? Do you think you've absorbed any of their skill by osmosis or even by design?

My favorite author is Terry Pratchett, and I'm sure I've absorbed some worldview thanks to his wonderful satire. I find that when I discover a new author, I absorb more of the worldviews expressed in their stories, rather than a particular writing technique. I really enjoy Nora Roberts' stories, but I couldn't jump POVs the way she does, for example. However, Nora, Jayne Ann Krentz, and others like them, have characters who share an outlook on life that I relate to.

I'm currently into Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, as well. I avoided it for a long time because I was writing something in the Urban Fantasy subgenre and I didn't want to unconsciously echo anything in that universe.

If one of your books was made into a movie, who would play the lead characters? Why?

My inspiration for the hero of my current WIP is a cross between Travis Flimmel and Cary Elwes back in his Princess Bride days. Travis has that young and innocent look (my hero looks innocent--he's a dirty bird, but looks like an altar boy, LOL!), and Cary Elwes' Westley has his mannerisms (in spite of being a dirty bird, he's quite an honorable guy).

The hero of Alien Communion is, of course, an alien. Tell me why the reader will fall in love with him. And can you share what the physical differences are between human and Alcaini males, or is that something that can only be divulged in the book?

Well, he's twice the man of any Earthling, LOL! ;) Tai'en is a man who knows what he wants, and isn't afraid to go after it, even when it gets him in trouble with his people. He thinks outside the box and isn't afraid of the consequences, which makes him dead sexy to Rayne (and me, too, LOL!) His own choices have led him to be more accepting of others, making him a perfect partner to free Rayne's mind and body. :)

If you could do the nasty with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?

Do fictional characters count? :D Because I think I could go for a round or two with Han Solo or Indiana Jones. If you're talking real-life, then probably Weird Al Yankovic, because there would likely be trampolines and accordions involved, and polka music can really get a girl goin'!

What did you want to be when you grew up?

A writer. I've always known I would be a writer. Boring, innit?

When I’m not writing, I’m pulling espresso at Starbucks. Got a favorite drink there?

Gingerbread Latte for the holidays, Cafe Mocha for regular visits, Iced Tazo Passion Tea Lemonade for hot summer days, and a Vanilla Bean Frappuccino when the kids want to share Mom's drink. And a triple-chocolate chunk cookie.

Would you rather be a little smarter or a little sexier?

A little smarter, because a good bra works wonders for upping the sexy. And since my mind is my biggest erogenous zone, more smarts leads to more sexy for me!

What would you do with $1000 in spare cash?

Hrmm. My first instinct is to do the responsible thing and put it towards bills or the kids' college fund. But what I'd love to do with $1000 in spare cash is take a cross-country train trip again, in the sleeper car, and just watch the country go by with a laptop on my lap and my family nearby (but occupied, leaving me to sightsee and write!)

Tell me about your release (October, Liquid Silver Books), “Hounded” in the A Witch in Time anthology.

"Hounded" is hopefully the start of a series of tales taking place in the colonized Solar system of the future--a system we humans share with more than just ourselves.

It was only supposed to be a simple bargain with the Moon Goddess, or so Lin Itoh thought. Until she discovers the hot stranger she just had a very intimate encounter with is actually Rex, one of Diana's Hounds. The Hound Lin is supposed to be looking for.

Things get even more complicated when Lin discovers Rex had very good reason for leaving. And even better reason for not being found.

To keep the inner solar system from erupting into chaos, Rex and his Packmate Max must show Lin that their animal instincts are exactly what she needs to heal the ailing Moon Goddess...and her own remote heart.

______

When Xandra says that Tai'en is twice the man of any Earthling, that really makes me wonder if she means that literally. I guess the only way to find out is to read the book! Visit her at her website or the Star-Crossed Romance Authors' Blog. Thanks, Xandra. It was a pleasure!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home