Friday, March 23, 2007

Artist: Elizabeth Barnes


How cool is this? It's called Study after Persistence of Memory, Salvadore Dali. The artist started out with a commission for a cast of a woman's pregnant torso. Her muse demanded more, so she started individualizing each torso with paint. Here's the classic painting she based this particular piece on.


Here is Hope II, by Gustav Klimt, one of my favorite artists.


Here is the belly cast version by Barnes.



And here is a piece she didn't model after any famous work of art, but I love the whimsy of it. Plus, it's a pregnant person's tummy, so I imagine these are Mr. and Mrs. Giraffe. LOL. Yep. I'm a silly romantic, all right. To see more of her work, go to Artful Expressions.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen Erickson said...

Those are so cool! I've always liked that Dali painting. Studied him way back when in college...

9:51 PM  
Blogger Rhian said...

Elizabeth is an awesome sculptor as well. She has these wonderful fullsized clay women all over her property. She's one of the hardest working artists i know. Plus i just love her. One of the original Creative Goddesses by the way, along with Ms. Karin Gillespie.
Heading to Atlanta. Sigh. xxx rhi

5:01 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Karen, Dali has an entire gallery in San Francisco that I visited a year or so ago. It's near Ghiradelli Square. He was one of the world's most prolific artists, if I remember correctly, and very very strange.

Yeah, Rhian, thanks for linking Elizabeth and Deborah. It was terrific discovering their artwork!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Rhian said...

Dali also has a wonderful gallery in St. Petersburg in Florida that is well worth a trip to looksee. I talked my hubby into going to see it when we were dating. I think that was the place he realized that he could embrace life with an artist. Grin!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these casts. What a fun way to create a memory of a once in a lifetime event. Way cool.

I was a Spanish major and studied Dali as well. Saw some of his paintings in Spain. I do like his stuff too. I think the melting clocks is one of his most famous ones.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home