Monday, April 02, 2007

Story: "Easter Morning" by Anna Jo Christopher from the April 3, 2007 issue.

Tagline: Fran realized that you’re never to old for surprises…

What follows is an analysis of a Woman's World story with a mind toward what works and doesn't work for me as a writer, peppered with some personal opinion, too. :)

This was a good solid story that followed the “old flame” and “matchmaking” plots. I liked the characters and felt sympathy for Fran when her mom tells her that Nate is coming for dinner right before he arrives! No time to change clothes or anything. But then again, Nate didn’t seem like the type of guy that needed to be impressed that way.

Notice how deftly Christopher condenses time and hustles the plot along in the middle of the story:

An hour later, Fran and her mother laughed as Sophie searched for the hidden Easter basket. It wasn't until late that afternoon that Fran asked her mother about Nate.

Best Part: The ending was tight and satisfying.

In My Humble Opinion “…her heart stumbled.” For some reason I can buy that stomachs drop, tongues get twisted, but hearts stumbling gives me trouble.

Grade: B

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! on "hearts stumbled," but I have sympathy for the author. Sometimes I wish someone would write a writer's reference on body parts. I don't know how many times I struggle to come up for a new way to say looked, gazed, eyed, peered. And if we're talking about overused phrases, what about heroes heroes who "thrust/shoved/ran his fingers threw his hair."

Now you're going to have me paranoid about my ms... ;-)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

I know what you're talking about Gabriella. I seem to have trouble with "a little" and "just." I just search after I'm done and weed out the ones that aren't absolutely necessary. As an erotic romance author I wish there were more words for "pleasure." :)

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home