Monday, May 19, 2008

Story: Hello Again

What follows is an analysis of a Woman's World story with suggestions and observations for people who want to sell stories to WW, peppered with some personal opinion, too. :) If you truly want to get the most from this weekly blog feature, it's best to have your own copy of the story to refer to. (And no, I don't get a kickback for pimping the magazine here!)



Story: Hello Again by Diane Crawford from the May 5, 2008 issue.

Tagline: Megan wondered if her teenage crush was going to flower into an all-grown-up romance

In A Nutshell: Megan attends a retirement party for her favorite high school teacher, Mrs. Jordan, and her husband, Coach Jordan. There, she sees Greg, the boy she had a crush on, but he's all grown up now. He confesses he had a crush on her all those years ago and asks her out.

Teaching Points: Crawford is an old hand at WW, very skilled at crafting better than average stories for them, and this one is no exception. She does a great job of slipping the backstory into their dialogue.

She also pulls our hero and heroine apart briefly when Greg is pulled away for a photo op, and then has Megan reminisce, giving us more background. We experience a brief moment of happiness when Greg confesses he had a crush on her back then, then some anxiety when it appears that Greg is expected to bring his old prom date to a dinner party at her own brother's house, no less! But at the end he asks Megan to go instead. Yay!

Woman's World Standbys: Old Flames

In My Humble Opinion: I wasn't crazy about the title.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just picked up the May 26th issue - have you read that one yet? I haven't read all that many of these stories, but I thought this one was very different and I liked it.

I'm really going to try and write one one of these days...

BTW, I tagged you.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Eeep! Tagged??? I think that issue is probably in my TBR pile.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a really easy one, but only do it if you feel like it. :)

6:24 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

I will, but not till next week. I have this week's blogs all prepped. :)

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home