Friday, August 22, 2008

Artist: Nathan Sawaya

My kids love Legos. They always have and probably always will. Imagine my delight when I found this guy, Nathan Sawaya, who creates art out of Lego bricks! Here he is in his New York studio, where he has over 1.5 million bricks. You can see them in bins in this picture.

Some of his art is on tour across the country. You can get information about the show "The Art of the Brick" here.

Here is a sculpture called Pluto, the Black Cat (2006). On his website he's posted this: Ways that I am like a cat: - We both like to drink milk.- We both like to eat fish.- We both like to sleep a lot.- We both do our best work at night.- We both believe that licking our body hair is a sufficient way to cleanse oneself.- We both hate leashes. (Not exactly true for me.)- We both drive poorly."



This next piece is titled Yellow (2006) I don't have anything to say about it except that it's cool. Some art aficionado I am!



This is the Iwo Jima Replica (2006) which was commissioned for permanent installation at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, Virginia. The sculpture used over 100,000 LEGO bricks.



So ends another Art Friday at Kate's Blog. Have a fantastic weekend!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

OMG, these are awesome! My Lego-freak BIL would love 'em!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Heather, did you notice in that picture of his studio that he's making a replica of a twenty dollar bill? How old is your BIL?

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are fantastic! I must show them to my husband. He was obsessed with Legos while growing up, then decided to pass that obsession on to our nephew by buying him Legos at every birthday and Christmas until his parents finally asked us to stop because they were sick of picking the things up all the time.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate
Love these and I must pass this site on to my 39 year-old-son who still has Legos.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Caryn and Pat, if I ever get grandchildren, I will assuredly play Legos with them. When my own kids became skilled enough to put new Lego kits together without help, it was a sad, sad day for me.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home