Monday, September 25, 2006

Math Whiz Extraordinaire


Website Recommendation: Scott Flansburg, The Human Calculator

I was listening to late night radio once in my car and caught this man being interviewed. He amazed me so much that I sat in my garage after I got home just to hear the rest of what he had to say.

The man can add any number to itself over and over in his head faster than you can do it on a calculator, faster than he can physically speak the answers. For example, you say 38. He adds 38 + 38 and says 76, adds 38 to that and says 114, and so on, so quickly he's in the Guiness Book of World Records. Go to his website to watch a video clip of him in action on Oprah.

I think it would be so awesome to have a talent like that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anna J. Evans said...

Yes, that would be an awesome talent, but I think I would rather be able to do something really amazing with my brain like force it to forget random facts at my will.

I would really like to not remember that my youngest stepdaughter has been being a total turd for two weeks, and that I once threw up margartias because I ate a food-poisoned hot dog and so never have really been able to enjoy their limey goodness again :(.

Hugs! Happy Monday!

Anna J. Evans

1:21 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

That would be a good talent as well! It's funny how our brains will associate things like margaritas and food poisoning together.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remins me of a book I read last year called "The Math Instinct: Why You're a Mathematical Genius (Along with Lobsters, Birds, Cats, and Dogs)." Some days I feel I possess the mathematical powers of a lobster, but I always thought that was a bad thing. :)

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home