Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Author Spotlight: Linda O. Johnston

Linda O. Johnston is one of my role models. She has successfully written for many genres--time travel, fantasy, mystery, historical, suspense. Although I have stayed mainly within the paranormal and contemporary erotic romance genres, I can see myself someday attempting to write something historical. Currently, she's finding the most amazing success with her Kendra Ballantyne Pet Sitter Mysteries. Read on to find out more about Linda.

If any of Kendra’s stories made it to the big screen, who would you cast as the lead characters? Why?
I’d love for either Sandra Bullock or Reese Witherspoon to play Kendra since they each do well playing both zany and serious characters, and Kendra’s a little of both. As for Jeff, I think Hugh Jackman would do just fine, combining serious hunkiness with a hint of humor, too.

Tell me about your writing routine.
I’m schizophrenic about it! I lead a double life. These days, I work a part-time law job in downtown L.A. 5 mornings a week, then come home and write. It’s a kind of routine, and it usually takes me a while to get centered and focused at my own computer, but when I do, I’m all about writing!

You once wrote historical and paranormal romance. Do you ever see yourself returning to those genres? Do you even want to?
As they say, never say never. I don’t have any historical or time travel stories in the works, but I’ve sold a Silhouette Nocturne that will be published in Spring 2008. Its working title is MOONLIGHT AND FIRE, and it’s about a lady veterinarian who meets a hunky werewolf.

What was your favorite book when you were a child?
THE GOAT THAT WENT TO SCHOOL. It was a Little Golden Book, I think, and I still remember a line repeated over and over in it that’s been a sort of watchword through my whole life: “But Bucky was plucky. He still went on.” I even had an imaginary playmate who was a goat named Bucky, but he disappeared when my younger brother was born.

What are you reading right now? Are you enjoying it?
I’m reading a manuscript for a critique partner right now and love it! It’s very imaginative and creative. She hasn’t sold a women’s fiction novel yet, but I hope this one does it. I’m also reading a book by T. Jefferson Parker, Fallen, since he will be a speaker at the May Mystery Writers of America SoCal meeting and I’m eager to go hear him. The book is really good.

What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
Who, me, do something crazy?

Is there a skill you don’t have, but wish you did?
Organization!

What was your childhood ambition?
I wanted to be a veterinarian--until I took an advanced biology class and was supposed to dissect a live frog. Couldn’t do it. Now, I write about veterinarians and pet-sitters and other animal lovers.

What would your “I’d rather be…” bumper sticker say?
... playing with my Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

What was the worst job you ever had?
I spent part of a summer while I was in college doing telephone interviewing for a market research company. I wasn’t allowed to take no for an answer. To this day, I avoid talking on the phone whenever possible.
___

Hey, I hear ya on that phone thing. I cold called for an insurance salesman and hated it. Please check out Linda's website. And definitely read a Kendra book. They're a hoot!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Robena Grant said...

What a great interview. I could hear Linda's distinctive voice and personality, it made me smile. I like "But Bucky was plucky."
The cover artwork on the new mystery looks great. I can see I have more reading to do. And wow, I like the sound of the new Nocturne ... a vet and a werewolf. Cool.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great interview Kate and Linda O.
I have Meow is for Murder on my TBR pile, and I look forward to your Nocturne book. My vote is for Sandra Bulloch to play Kendra!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks for the interview, Kim. The questions really made me think--and were fun to answer! Thanks, too, for the nice comments. And I won't call you on the phone if you don't call me!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

LMAO. I won't be calling you, Linda, that's for sure. And it was my pleasure to feature you and your great books on my little old blog. I'm glad you had fun.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Hey, D'Anne Avner, this is to check if you have a Google Alert.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home