Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Story: "All in a Day's Work" by Diane Crawford from the May 1, 2007 issue.

Tagline: Christine was so busy, she hadn't realized there was something missing in her life. Then Duncan showed up...

What follows is an analysis of a Woman's World story with a mind toward what works and doesn't work for me as a writer, peppered with some personal opinion, too. :)

Crawford jumps right into the action of her story, setting up the situation--Christine provides daycare out of her home. As might be expected, the child turns out to be the unwitting matchmaker when he drags his grandfather back to Christine's house with dinner and ice cream. However, once "thrown together," the characters do an admirable job of taking things from there themselves. The bargaining of bakery goods for construction projects was cute, but otherwise, the story was your average Woman's World romance.

Best Part: I thought it was funny when Alex shows up with the table leg. I could totally picture that.

In My Humble Opinion: I did have a little trouble fixing Christine's age in my mind, since Duncan was the father of one of her clients. Maybe a reference to her graying hair or something would have given me a better idea of her age.

Also, Diane Crawford shared with me that they changed her ending, and in my opinion, they didn't do that great of a job.

Grade: B

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Night Diva Maria said...

Thanks Kim!
I look forward to each of your reviews. So they changed the ending?
Very interesting to know! Off to read this one now :) I read your review first, then edit edit edit :D my own :D
Thanks for all your help!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Thanks for stopping by, Maria! Don't spend TOO much time editing. You have to submit eventually or you'll never get paid! :D

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home