Friday, April 13, 2007

Artist: Jamie Edwards

I know I'm a little late with this Easter image, Siamese Cat Dressed as the Easter Bunny, but it was too cute to pass up. I found this artist's work to be whimsical and fun, reminding me of those blue dog paintings by George Rodrigue.

Jamie herself says, "I believe that my art reflects my love for animals, children and bold, rich colour. I describe my style as a mix of folk and contemporary with a touch of whimsy. I strive to capture special moments and precious expressions in my work. If my art makes you smile then I am smiling too."

I'm definitely smiling when I look at Morning Coffee with Cats. The woman's hair/towel(?) looks like pink soft serve ice cream, and the orange cat looks like he's saying about the coffee, "Where's mine?"





Cat on a Hot Car Roof makes me smile, too. The colors, the style, the flowers, and the old-fashioned car all combine to lighten my mood. I really love the simplicity of how she depicts the roses, just a swirl in the middle and a wiggly line for the outline.

And finally, this painting, Siamese Snuggle, says to me contentment, peace, and relaxation. And here's something funny...I didn't realize until just now that she's reading a book. How wonderful. When I was choosing paintings for this post I was focusing on the cat around her head, but my subconscious must have recognized that.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Anna J. Evans said...

thanks Kate, these brightened up a dreary Saturday. And you know I"m stealing some of those recipes in your Thursday thirteen :)

Anna

(who *thought* she saw you seasons of seduction cover up on NJ Walters website, you might want to go take a peek.)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Thanks for stopping by, Anna. I'm glad you like the paintings. The last artist whose work I featured is GIVING me one of the paintings I liked. Isn't that amazingly cool??

1:49 PM  
Blogger Rhian said...

siamese snuggle is awesome! and congrats on scoring some art!!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Lucie Simone said...

As a cat person, I simply adore these paintings!

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like these Kate! I like the colors. Very vivid and appealing. I've been seeing a lot of cat blog posts this week. What is it? Ode to Cat week?

Btw, how do you find these art works? Do you check out certain sites or read an art magazine regularly? I'm curious.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Robin L. Rotham said...

Now that's my kind of art! Thanks for introducing me. :D

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Lucie, I wish I could get another cat, but my oldest son is allergic. I have to wait for him to move out.

I surf the web for art. Sometimes I just remember stuff I've seen in museums or in art history classes I took way back when.

Robin, you're welcome! If I had a little girl I might hang something like this on her wall, but I have two boys and I think they'd stage a mutiny if I attempted it. LOL

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home