Thursday, April 05, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: Losing It First Lines


I saw on someone else's blog that they had posted the first lines from the chapters of their book, and the result was so intriguing that I had to try it myself. It really made me want to read the book.

So here are the first lines from Losing It - 12 chapters, plus the epilogue.

Chapter One - “How much pain is there when you lose your virginity?”

Chapter Two - The next day, Charlotte put on some Chopin, got herself a tall glass of iced tea, and revved up her laptop.

Chapter Three - “Ow!” Ben cried. “What the hell was that for?”

Chapter Four - “Spill it,” Kerrie said to Charlotte as they set aside the finished seating charts for the wedding reception and reached for their reward of gourmet pizza.

Chapter Five - Ben cursed himself.

Chapter Six - On the big night, Ben poked his head out of the side door of his detached garage when he heard Charlotte pull up.

Chapter Seven - The next morning, Charlotte carefully slipped out of bed and headed for the shower.

Chapter Eight - Charlotte left her parents’ house as soon as politely possible.

Chapter Nine - Charlotte woke later that night to the phone ringing.

Chapter Ten - No way was Charlotte going to leave Ben out there with Nicolette sniffing around him like a hyena in Blahniks.

Chapter Eleven - Charlotte and Ben hurried to the guest bathroom near the front of the house.

Chapter Twelve - A knock sounded at the bathroom door startling them both.

Epilogue - Charlotte leaned against Ben’s truck, waiting for his signal that it was all right to go inside her—she corrected her thoughts with a smile—their house.

Now that I look at these, they don't seem all that grabby. Only 1, 2, and 10 seemed to pull me in. The other chapter openings either rely on the ending of the preceding chapter, or the next few sentences. :)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged. If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well!

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

Well, I liked how Chapter Two deals with iced tea and chapter four orders her to spill it! LOL.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Diana Castilleja said...

They worked for me. Although that is an interesting way to see what you have and how it looks. Might try that msyself. :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger Elle Fredrix said...

Yeah, I think this is a great idea. And I loved your first line of chapter one!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

Those are fun! Especially the first one. I'll have to do this TT some time :D

8:55 AM  
Blogger Em said...

I liked number 3 personally!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Eva Gale said...

Heh. I likeed #12. Because why were they in there together, huh?

9:31 AM  
Blogger P. Robinson said...

This sounds like a great read. You have me intrigued.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the tone of number 3 but very curious about 12. ;)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Anna J. Evans said...

That was fun Kate! It made me want to try it out :)

Anna

1:19 PM  
Blogger Anna J. Evans said...

I just signed up on the linky...does that mean I get to play the Thursday game now?

Anna...so behind on these fun blog things...

1:20 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Thanks for stopping by, everyone! I'll probably do this again for other books.

Of course you get to play, Anna! Just do any type of list of 13 every Thursday. :)

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was an interesting idea, even from just the perspective of examining your own writing and seeing how chapters start or finish.

Btw, I think I remember this story. Did you send in the first scene to the Brava contest a while back? If so, it has a great beginning! And I love the cover.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Rhian said...

i think this was a great idea! especially since i just read the book and it was soooooo awesome!

3:48 AM  
Blogger Robin L. Rotham said...

Number one is one of my favorite opening lines ever. :D

11:15 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Good memory, Gabriella! Yes, Losing It finalled in a Brava contest a while ago, but didn't work for Kate Duffy. Luckily it found a great home with Liquid Silver and is my bestseller!

Rhi, I'm so glad you liked the book. Those lines would be especially meaningful for you having just read it.

Robin, thanks! :)

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home