Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Heaven on a Bun

My family has begun a tradition called Guinea Pig Dinners. The idea is for us all to try out new recipes on each other. Since we're all trying something new, there is no pressure for it to be a fantastic dish. The first GPD was a great success, but my dish of zucchini bow tie pasta was only so-so.

At the most recent (second) GPD I think I really had a winner! Rachel Ray is one of my Food Goddesses. I tried her Salmon Burgers with Ginger Wasabi Mayo. These were TO DIE FOR.

Salmon Burgers with Ginger Wasabi Mayo

2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 3" piece of fresh ginger, minced or grated (I didn't use this much.)
3 tbs. tamari (dark aged soy sauce) (I COMPLETELY forgot this, but they still turned out!)
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 red pepper, cored, seeded, finely chopped
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. grill seasoning (McCormick's Steak seasoning is GREAT.)

1/2 - 3/4 cup mayo
2 tbs wasabi paste (I found this on the asian food aisle. It comes in a tube.)
Juice of 1 lime

Your favorite kind of hamburger bun/roll.

Cube the salmon into bite-sized pieces and place in food processor. Pulse to coarse grind the salmon. It should take on the consistency of ground beef or turkey. Transfer the salmon to a bowl and combine with garlic, 3/4 of the ginger, tamari, scallions, red bell peppers, sesame oil, grill seasoning, and black pepper. Form 4 large patties, 1 1/2 inches thick. Drizzle patties on both sides with oil. Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add salmon burgers and cook for about 5-6 minutes per side for well done. (When I did these a second time, we grilled them outside and they came out great.)

While salmon is cooking, prepare wasabi ginger mayo. In a bowl combine the mayo, wasabi paste, lime juice and remaining ginger. (I forgot to put ginger in the mayo, too. It's a wonder this recipe turned out at all!) Serve on the rolls/buns with the yummy mayo and lettuce if you want.

This mayo would be killer with salmon tacos, I bet.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home