Saturday, May 26, 2007

Artist: Natasha Wescoat

Ah, another art-filled day at my blog. :)

Today we're looking at Natasha Wescoat's work. If you're a regular, you know I tend toward the whimsical, and of course, there are those spirals I seem to like so much.

Wescoat's Candy Garden reminded me of Salvador Dali. You know him. He painted the melting clocks (Persistence of Memory.) Weird, I know. I remembered this painting I saw of his where these elephants had super long legs. Then when I Googled it, I also remembered that I really think his work is too disturbing for me to want to post it here. I like the little flowers here, they look a bit like fig/flower bird feeders. I also enjoy the colors, subtle in tone, but still appealing.





Next we have Peacock in Gold. More spirals. A warmer palette. Beautiful!










This is Heaven's Dawn Series. Here I can imagine that the circles are souls rising to Heaven. The fluidity of this painting is nice. It really draws my eye in a lazy path.









This is Dizzy Spell. Again, the fluid movement appeals to me. I can't imagine painting all those circles, twisting your hand around...very time consuming, but worth it. Squares just wouldn't do it, nor would brush-shaped brush strokes.



Wescoat really had so many works that I liked, but this is my favorite, Protection. When I look at this, I think of a mother sheltering her child and my tummy gets all warm. :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Neat stuff; I wouldn't mind hanging some of it on my walls!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

I'm glad you liked it, Susan! Thanks so much for stopping by!!!

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home